Monday, July 14, 2008
Monday, July 14
- 6" turkey & ham sub w/ provolone, oil & vinegar
- low fat strawberry yogurt
- large dinner salad w/ homemade vinaigrette
- 1/2 soft boiled egg
- 1/2 medium sprite
- glass of doctored iced tea (black tea, honey, mint, fruit juice)
- 43 minutes on the elliptical trainer
So, ladies and gentlemen, this was a great calorie day, but the only problem is, all of these calories were consumed after 7:00pm. I forgot to bring a lunch to work, and I couldn't get away from the office until 5:30. I didn't want to go to the gym on a full stomach, so I went ahead and worked out, showered, and drive to subway where I ordered a sandwich feeling rather light-headed. Not hungry, exactly, just sort of weak. I felt immensely better after I wolfed down my sandwich and yogurt, but I was hungry again in an hour. I HAVE to feed myself during the day, I really know better.
I was good, though. I went to the grocery store and got about a weeks worth of groceries for myself--all healthy, except for the olive oil and dark chocolate squares. I still think, however, that it is important to have some fat in your diet, and it may as well be a good fat, like the kind in olive oil, or avocados, or dark chocolate for that matter. These things, in moderation of course, make your food taste so much better, that you're left feeling fuller and more satisfied, and, hopefully, less likely to go back for something else.
Also, I made the most wonderful vinaigrette! I used to despise vinegar in all forms, but in the last year, my body seems to crave it, and I positively salivate when I smell it. After asking the subway sandwich maker to add more vinegar to my sandwich, I started to think about making my own salad dressings. So I bought some good olive oil and some expensive red wine and balsamic vinegar. The normal ratio for vinaigrette is 3 parts oil, and 1 part vinegar. The dressing I made, however, was more like 2 parts red wine vinegar, 1/2 part oil, and 1/2 part honey, salt & lots of pepper. Not exactly the healthiest dressing ever created, but I only used a little over a tablespoon for my salad, and it was more than enough. And very very tasty. I think I'll make a strawberry vinaigrette tomorrow..... Mmmm.....
In order to prevent what happened today, I packed a lunch for tomorrow with more food than is really necessary. I figure I should give myself a little variety, in case I turn out not to be in the mood for something I brought with me.

0 comments:
Post a Comment